AMERICAN DEPOSITARY RECEIPT
AMERICAN DEPOSITARY SHARES
DASSAULT SYSTÈMES S. E.
(Incorporated under the laws of France)
JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, N.A., a national banking association organized under the laws of the United States of America, as depositary hereunder (the "Depositary"), hereby certifies that is the registered owner (a "Holder") of American Depositary Shares ("ADSs"), each (subject to paragraph (13)) representing one ordinary share representing deposited ordinary shares in bearer form i.e., registered as "titres au porteur" with Euroclear France, an organization that, inter alia maintains shares and other securities accounts of French listed companies) or evidence of rights to receive such ordinary shares (including the rights to receive Shares described in paragraph (1), "Shares" and, together with any other securities, cash or property from time to time held by the Depositary in respect or in lieu of deposited Shares, the "Deposited Securities"), of Dassault Systèmes S. E. , a European Company (Societas Europaea) organized under the laws of France (the "Company"), deposited under the Second Amended and Restated Deposit Agreement dated as of May 9, 2014 (as amended from time to time, the "Deposit Agreement") among the Company, the Depositary and all Holders from time to time of American Depositary Receipts issued thereunder ("ADRs"), each of whom by accepting an ADR becomes a party thereto. Capitalized terms used but not defined in this ADR shall have the meanings assigned to them in the Deposit Agreement. The Deposit Agreement and this ADR (which includes the provisions set forth on the reverse hereof) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York.
(1) Issuance and Pre-Release of ADSs. This ADR is one of the ADRs issued under the Deposit Agreement. Subject to the other provisions hereof, the Depositary may so issue ADRs for delivery at the Transfer Office (as hereinafter defined) only against deposit of: (a) Shares in form satisfactory to the Custodian; (b) rights to receive Shares from the Company or any registrar, transfer agent, clearing agent or other entity recording Share ownership or transactions; or, (c) in accordance with the next paragraph hereof.
In its capacity as Depositary, the Depositary shall not lend Shares or ADSs; provided, however, that the Depositary may (i) issue ADSs prior to the receipt of Shares and (ii) deliver Shares prior to the receipt of ADSs for withdrawal of Deposited Securities, including ADSs which were issued under (i) above but for which Shares may not have been received (each such transaction a "Pre-Release"). The Depositary may receive ADSs in lieu of Shares under (i) above (which ADSs will promptly be canceled by the Depositary upon receipt by the Depositary) and receive Shares in lieu of ADSs under (ii) above. Each such Pre-Release will be subject to a written agreement whereby the person or entity (the "Applicant") to whom ADSs or Shares are to be delivered (a) represents that at the time of the Pre-Release the Applicant or its customer owns the Shares or ADSs that are to be delivered by the Applicant under such Pre-Release, (b) agrees to indicate the Depositary as owner of such Shares or ADSs in its records and to hold such Shares or ADSs in trust for the Depositary until such Shares or ADSs are delivered to the Depositary or the Custodian, (c) unconditionally guarantees to deliver to the Depositary or the Custodian, as applicable, such Shares or ADSs, and (d) agrees to any additional restrictions or requirements that the Depositary deems appropriate. Each such Pre-Release will be at all times fully collateralized with cash, U.S. government securities or such other collateral as the Depositary deems appropriate, terminable by the Depositary on not more than five (5) business days' notice and subject to such further indemnities and credit regulations as the Depositary deems appropriate. The Depositary will normally limit the number of ADSs and Shares involved in such Pre-Release at any one time to thirty percent (30%) of the ADSs outstanding (without giving effect to ADSs outstanding under (i) above), provided, however, that the Depositary reserves the right to change or disregard such limit from time to time as it deems appropriate. The Depositary may also set limits with respect to the number of ADSs and Shares involved in Pre-Release with any one person on a case-by-case basis as it deems appropriate. The Depositary may retain for its own account any compensation received by it in conjunction with the foregoing. Collateral provided in connection with Pre-Release transactions, but not the earnings thereon, shall be held for the benefit of the Holders (other than the Applicant).
Every person depositing Shares under the Deposit Agreement represents and warrants that (a) such Shares and the certificates therefor are duly authorized, validly issued and outstanding, fully paid, nonassessable and legally obtained by such person, rank pari passu with the Company’s existing ordinary shares and conform with the laws of France, (b) all pre-emptive and comparable rights, if any, with respect to such Shares have been validly waived or exercised, (c) that the person making such deposit is duly authorized so to do, (d) the Shares presented for deposit are free and clear of any lien, encumbrance, security interest, charge, mortgage or adverse claim, (e) that such Shares (A) are not "restricted securities" as such term is defined in Rule 144 under the Securities Act of 1933 ("Restricted Securities") unless at the time of deposit the requirements of paragraphs (c), (e), (f) and (h) of Rule 144 shall not apply and such Shares may be freely transferred and may otherwise be offered and sold freely in the United States or (B) have been registered under the Securities Act of 1933, (f) there are no legal restrictions on the transfer of any of the Shares and (g) the transaction(s) pursuant to which the Shares were obtained did not, and the deposit of the Shares under the Deposit Agreement against the issuance of ADRs evidencing ADSs representing such Shares does not, (i) require any consents, permits, approvals, licenses, exemptions or authorizations to be obtained from, or any filing, notice or registration to be made with or any action to be taken by, any governmental or regulatory authority or court in France, except such as have been duly obtained by the person depositing the Shares or (ii) violate or breach any French law, rule, regulation, order, judgment or decree applicable to the person depositing the Shares. To the extent the person depositing Shares is an "affiliate" of the Company as such term is defined in Rule 144, the person also represents and warrants that upon the sale of the ADSs, all of the provisions of Rule 144 which enable the Shares to be freely sold (in the form of ADSs) will be fully complied with and, as a result thereof, all of the ADSs issued in respect of such Shares will not be on the sale thereof, Restricted Securities. Such representations and warranties shall survive the deposit and withdrawal of Shares and the issuance and cancellation of ADSs in respect thereof and the transfer of such ADSs. The Depositary will not knowingly accept for deposit under the Deposit Agreement any Shares required to be registered under the Securities Act of 1933 and not so registered; The Depositary may refuse to accept for such deposit any Shares identified by the Company in order to facilitate compliance with the requirements of the Securities Act of 1933 or the Rules made thereunder
(2) Withdrawal of Deposited Securities. Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), upon surrender of (i) a certificated ADR in form satisfactory to the Depositary at the Transfer Office or (ii) proper instructions and documentation in the case of a Direct Registration ADR, the Holder hereof is entitled to delivery at, or to the extent in dematerialized form from, the Custodian's office of the Deposited Securities at the time represented by the ADSs evidenced by this ADR, provided that the Depositary may deliver Shares prior to the receipt of ADSs for withdrawal of Deposited Securities, including ADSs which were issued under (1) above but for which Shares may not have been received (until such ADSs are actually deposited, "Pre-released Shares") only if all the conditions in (1) above related to such Pre-Release are satisfied). At the request, risk and expense of the Holder hereof, the Depositary may deliver such Deposited Securities at such other place as may have been requested by the Holder. Notwithstanding any other provision of the Deposit Agreement or this ADR, the withdrawal of Deposited Securities may be restricted only for the reasons set forth in General Instruction I.A.(1) of Form F-6 (as such instructions may be amended from time to time) under the Securities Act of 1933.
(3) Transfers of ADRs. The Depositary or its agent will keep, at a designated transfer office (the "Transfer Office"), (a) a register (the "ADR Register") for the registration, registration of transfer, combination and split-up of ADRs, and, in the case of Direct Registration ADRs, shall include the Direct Registration System, which at all reasonable times will be open for inspection by Holders and the Company for the purpose of communicating with Holders in the interest of the business of the Company or a matter relating to the Deposit Agreement and (b) facilities for the delivery and receipt of ADRs. The term ADR Register includes the Direct Registration System. Title to this ADR (and to the Deposited Securities represented by the ADSs evidenced hereby), when properly endorsed (in the case of ADRs in certificated form) or upon delivery to the Depositary of proper instruments of transfer, is transferable by delivery with the same effect as in the case of negotiable instruments under the laws of the State of New York; provided that the Depositary, notwithstanding any notice to the contrary, may treat the person in whose name this ADR is registered on the ADR Register as the absolute owner hereof for all purposes and neither the Depositary nor the Company will have any obligation or be subject to any liability under the Deposit Agreement to any holder of an ADR, unless such holder is the Holder thereof. Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), this ADR is transferable on the ADR Register and may be split into other ADRs or combined with other ADRs into one ADR, evidencing the aggregate number of ADSs surrendered for split-up or combination, by the Holder hereof or by duly authorized attorney upon surrender of this ADR at the Transfer Office properly endorsed (in the case of ADRs in certificated form) or upon delivery to the Depositary of proper instruments of transfer and duly stamped as may be required by applicable law; provided that the Depositary may close the ADR Register at any time or from time to time when deemed expedient by it or when reasonably requested by the Company solely in order to enable the Company to comply with applicable law. At the request of a Holder, the Depositary shall, for the purpose of substituting a certificated ADR with a Direct Registration ADR, or vice versa, execute and deliver a certificated ADR or a Direct Registration ADR, as the case may be, for any authorized number of ADSs requested, evidencing the same aggregate number of ADSs as those evidenced by the certificated ADR or Direct Registration ADR, as the case may be, substituted.
(4) Certain Limitations. Prior to the issue, registration, registration of transfer, split-up or combination of any ADR, the delivery of any distribution in respect thereof, or, subject to the last sentence of paragraph (2), the withdrawal of any Deposited Securities, and from time to time in the case of clause (b)(ii) of this paragraph (4), the Company, the Depositary or the Custodian may require: (a) payment with respect thereto of (i) any stock transfer or other tax or other governmental charge, (ii) any stock transfer or registration fees in effect for the registration of transfers of Shares or other Deposited Securities upon any applicable register and (iii) any applicable charges as provided in paragraph (7) of this ADR; (b) the production of proof satisfactory to it of (i) the identity of any signatory and genuineness of any signature and (ii) such other information, including without limitation, information as to citizenship, residence, exchange control approval, beneficial ownership of any securities, compliance with applicable law, regulations, provisions of or governing Deposited Securities and terms of the Deposit Agreement and this ADR, as it may deem necessary or proper; and (c) compliance with such regulations as the Depositary may establish consistent with the Deposit Agreement. The issuance of ADRs, the acceptance of deposits of Shares, the registration, registration of transfer, split-up or combination of ADRs or, subject to the last sentence of paragraph (2), the withdrawal of Deposited Securities may be suspended, generally or in particular instances, when the ADR Register or any register for Deposited Securities is closed or when any such action is deemed advisable by the Depositary.
(5) Taxes. If any tax or other governmental charges (including any penalties and/or interest) shall become payable by or on behalf of the Custodian or the Depositary with respect to this ADR, any Deposited Securities represented by the ADSs evidenced hereby or any distribution thereon, such tax or other governmental charge shall be paid by the Holder hereof to the Depositary and by holding or having held an ADR the Holder and all prior Holders hereof, jointly and severally, agree to indemnify, defend and save harmless each of the Depositary and its agents in respect thereof. The Depositary may refuse to effect any registration, registration of transfer, split-up or combination hereof or, subject to the last sentence of paragraph (2), any withdrawal of such Deposited Securities until such payment is made. The Depositary may also deduct from any distributions on or in respect of Deposited Securities, or may sell by public or private sale for the account of the Holder hereof any part or all of such Deposited Securities (after attempting by reasonable means to notify the Holder hereof prior to such sale), and may apply such deduction or the proceeds of any such sale in payment of such tax or other governmental charge, the Holder hereof remaining liable for any deficiency, and shall reduce the number of ADSs evidenced hereby to reflect any such sales of Shares. In connection with any distribution to Holders, the Company will remit to the appropriate governmental authority or agency all amounts (if any) required to be withheld and owing to such authority or agency by the Company; and the Depositary and the Custodian will remit to the appropriate governmental authority or agency all amounts (if any) required to be withheld and owing to such authority or agency by the Depositary or the Custodian. If the Depositary determines that any distribution in property other than cash (including Shares or rights) on Deposited Securities is subject to any tax that the Depositary or the Custodian is obligated to withhold, the Depositary may dispose of all or a portion of such property in such amounts and in such manner as the Depositary deems necessary and practicable to pay such taxes, by public or private sale, and the Depositary shall distribute the net proceeds of any such sale or the balance of any such property after deduction of such taxes to the Holders entitled thereto. To the extent commercially reasonable and legally permissible, the Depositary will forward to the Company such information from its records maintained by it in its capacity as Depositary hereunder as the Company may reasonably request to enable the Company to file any necessary reports with governmental authorities or agencies. Each Holder of an ADR or an interest therein agrees to indemnify the Depositary, the Company, the Custodian and any of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and affiliates against, and hold each of them harmless from, any claims by any governmental authority with respect to taxes, additions to tax, penalties or interest arising out of any refund of taxes, reduced rate of withholding at source or other tax benefit obtained.
(6) Disclosure of Interests. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Deposit Agreement, each Holder agrees to comply with the Company’s by-laws, as they may be amended from time to time, and the laws of the Republic of France with respect to the disclosure requirements regarding ownership of Shares, all as if the ADSs were the Shares represented thereby. As of the date of the Deposit Agreement, such disclosure requirements are summarized as follows:
Each Holder agrees to (a) promptly provide such information as the Company may request from time to time pursuant to any applicable laws, regulations or the organizational or corporate documents of the Company (including, without limitation, French law, any applicable law of the United States, the Company’s by-laws, any resolutions of the Company’s Board of Directors adopted pursuant to such by-laws, the requirements of any markets or exchanges upon which the Shares, ADSs or Receipts are listed or traded, or to any requirements of any electronic book-entry system by which the Shares, ADSs or ADRs may be transferred), and (b) be bound by and subject to such laws, regulations, and organizational and corporate documents, to the same extent as if such Holder held Shares directly, in each case irrespective of whether or not they are Holder at the time such request is made. The Depositary agrees to use its reasonable efforts to forward upon the request and expense of the Company any such request from the Company to the Holders and to forward to the Company any such responses to such requests received by the Depositary. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, each Holder, acting alone or in concert, agrees to comply with the Company’s by-laws (“statuts”) and any other organizational document, as the same may be amended from time to time and French law, with respect to disclosure requirements regarding ownership, and the potential for ownership (including through derivative instruments), of Shares including through ADSs, which is deemed to include inter alia requirements to make notifications and filings within the required timeframes to the Company and the French Autorité des Marchés Financiers (“AMF”).
As of the date of the Deposit Agreement, French law provides that any individual or entity (including a Holder of ADSs), acting alone or in concert with others, that acquires, directly or indirectly, more than one-twentieth (5%), one-tenth (10%), three twentieth (15%), one-fifth (20%), one quarter (25%), three tenth (30%), one third (33%), one-half (50%), two-thirds (66.66%), eighteen twentieth (90%) and nineteen twentieth (95%) of the share capital or the voting rights of the Company, or whose holdings fall below any such threshold, must notify the Company and the AMF, the administrative agency that has general regulatory authority over the French stock exchanges (no later than the close of the trading session of the fourth trading day following the crossing, upwards or downwards, of the relevant threshold), in particular, of the number of equity securities it holds and the voting rights attached thereto. In the case of a violation of the notification requirements provided for under French law, the undeclared share capital interest in excess of the required notification threshold will be deprived of voting rights until the end of a two-year period following the date on which the owner thereof has complied with such notification requirement. In addition, any shareholder who fails to comply with the above requirements may have all or part of its voting rights suspended for up to five years by the competent French commercial court at the request of the Company’s chairman, any shareholder or the AMF.
In addition, the Company’s by-laws (“statuts”) provide, as of the date of the Deposit Agreement, that every shareholder (including a holder of ADSs) who, directly or indirectly, acting alone or in concert with others, acquires ownership or control of equity securities representing 2.5%, or any multiple of 2.5% up to 50%, of the Company’s share capital or voting rights, or whose holdings fall below such limit, shall be required to notify the Company of such fact, within four (4) trading days of such acquisition or disposition by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt.
In the event that a Holder fails to comply with such requirements of the Company’s by-laws, such Holder, upon request of a holder or holders of 2.5% or more of the share capital of the Company (and recorded in the minutes of the relevant general meeting of shareholders), shall not be permitted, in accordance with, and subject to the limitations provided under French law, to exercise voting rights with respect to any Shares as to which any required disclosure (as set forth in the preceding paragraph) has not been made. Such disqualification shall only apply to Shares in excess of the applicable threshold. Holders shall be directly responsible to the Company for failure to comply with the provisions of this paragraph. The Depositary shall have no obligations to enforce any such limitations and shall have no responsibilities or liability with respect thereto.
Calculation of the thresholds above includes indirectly held shares and instruments equivalent to existing shares as defined in Article L. 233-7 and seq. of the French commercial code. Holders must certify directly to the Company that all securities owned or held as defined in the preceding paragraph are included in each such declaration and must also indicate the date(s) of acquisition or sale of the shares.
Holders and any persons holding ADRs agree to comply with all such disclosure requirements and ownership limitations and to comply with any reasonable Company instructions in respect thereof. The Company reserves the right to instruct Holders to deliver their ADSs for cancellation and withdrawal of the Deposited Securities so as to permit the Company to deal directly with the Holder thereof as a holder of Shares and Holders agree to comply with such instructions.
The Depositary agrees to cooperate with the Company in its efforts to inform Holders of the Company's exercise of its rights under this paragraph and agrees to consult with, and provide reasonable assistance without risk, liability or expense on the part of the Depositary, to the Company on the manner or manners in which it may enforce such rights with respect to any Holder.
(7) Charges of Depositary. The Depositary may charge, and collect from, (i) each person to whom ADSs are issued, including, without limitation, issuances against deposits of Shares, issuances in respect of Share Distributions, Rights and Other Distributions (as such terms are defined in paragraph (10)), issuances pursuant to a stock dividend or stock split declared by the Company, or issuances pursuant to a merger, exchange of securities or any other transaction or event affecting the ADSs or the Deposited Securities, and (ii) each person surrendering ADSs for withdrawal of Deposited Securities or whose ADSs are cancelled or reduced for any other reason, U.S.$5.00 for each 100 ADSs (or portion thereof) issued, delivered, reduced, cancelled or surrendered (as the case may be). The Depositary may sell (by public or private sale) sufficient securities and property received in respect of Share Distributions, Rights and Other Distributions prior to such deposit to pay such charge. The following additional charges shall be incurred by the Holders, by any party depositing or withdrawing Shares or by any party surrendering ADSs, to whom ADSs are issued (including, without limitation, issuance pursuant to a stock dividend or stock split declared by the Company or an exchange of stock regarding the ADSs or the Deposited Securities or a distribution of ADSs pursuant to paragraph (10)), whichever is applicable (i) a fee of U.S.$0.05 or less per ADS for any Cash distribution made pursuant to the Deposit Agreement, (ii) a fee of U.S.$1.50 per ADR or ADRs for transfers made pursuant to paragraph (3) hereof, (iii) a fee for the distribution or sale of securities pursuant to paragraph (10) hereof, such fee being in an amount equal to the fee for the execution and delivery of ADSs referred to above which would have been charged as a result of the deposit of such securities (for purposes of this paragraph (7) treating all such securities as if they were Shares) but which securities or the net cash proceeds from the sale thereof are instead distributed by the Depositary to Holders entitled thereto, (iv) an aggregate fee of U.S.$0.05 per ADS per calendar year (or portion thereof) for services performed by the Depositary in administering the ADRs (which fee may be charged on a periodic basis during each calendar year and shall be assessed against Holders as of the record date or record dates set by the Depositary during each calendar year and shall be payable at the sole discretion of the Depositary by billing such Holders or by deducting such charge from one or more cash dividends or other cash distributions), and (v) a fee for the reimbursement of such fees, charges and expenses as are incurred by the Depositary and/or any of its agents (including, without limitation, the Custodian and expenses incurred on behalf of Holders in connection with compliance with foreign exchange control regulations or any law or regulation relating to foreign investment) in connection with the servicing of the Shares or other Deposited Securities, the sale of securities (including, without limitation, Deposited Securities), the delivery of Deposited Securities or otherwise in connection with the Depositary's or its Custodian's compliance with applicable law, rule or regulation (which fees and charges shall be assessed on a proportionate basis against Holders as of the record date or dates set by the Depositary and shall be payable at the sole discretion of the Depositary by billing such Holders or by deducting such charge from one or more cash dividends or other cash distributions). The Company will pay all other charges and expenses of the Depositary and any agent of the Depositary (except the Custodian) pursuant to agreements from time to time between the Company and the Depositary, except (i) stock transfer or other taxes and other governmental charges (which are payable by Holders or persons depositing Shares), (ii) cable, telex and facsimile transmission and delivery charges incurred at the request of persons depositing, or Holders delivering Shares, ADRs or Deposited Securities (which are payable by such persons or Holders), (iii) transfer or registration fees for the registration or transfer of Deposited Securities on any applicable register in connection with the deposit or withdrawal of Deposited Securities (which are payable by persons depositing Shares or Holders withdrawing Deposited Securities; there are no such fees in respect of the Shares as of the date of the Deposit Agreement), and (iv) in connection with the conversion of foreign currency into U.S. dollars, JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (“JPMorgan”) shall deduct out of such foreign currency the fees, expenses and other charges charged by it and/or its agent (which may be a division, branch or affiliate) so appointed in connection with such conversion. JPMorgan and/or its agent may act as principal for such conversion of foreign currency. Such charges may at any time and from time to time be changed by agreement between the Company and the Depositary. For further details see https://www.adr.com/Home/InvestorDisclosure.
The Depositary anticipates reimbursing the Company for certain expenses incurred by the Company that are related to the establishment and maintenance of the ADR program upon such terms and conditions as the Company and the Depositary may agree from time to time. The Depositary may make available to the Company a set amount or a portion of the Depositary fees charged in respect of the ADR program or otherwise upon such terms and conditions as the Company and the Depositary may agree from time to time.
The right of the Depositary to receive payment of fees, charges and expenses as provided above shall survive the termination of the Deposit Agreement. As to any Depositary, upon the resignation or removal of such Depositary, such right shall extend for those fees, charges and expenses incurred prior to the effectiveness of such resignation or removal.
(8) Available Information. The Deposit Agreement, the provisions of or governing Deposited Securities and any written communications from the Company, which are both received by the Custodian or its nominee as a holder of Deposited Securities and made generally available to the holders of Deposited Securities, are available for inspection by Holders at the offices of the Depositary and the Custodian and at the Transfer Office. The Depositary will distribute copies of such communications (or English translations or summaries thereof) to Holders when furnished by the Company. The Company publishes information in English required to maintain the exemption from registration under Rule 12g3-2(b) under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 on its Internet Web site (www.3ds.com) or through an electronic information delivery system generally available to the public in its primary trading market. The Company represents that as of the date of the Deposit Agreement, the statements in the previous sentence of this paragraph (8) with respect to the exemption from registration under Rule 12g3-2(b) under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, are true and correct. The Company agrees to promptly notify the Depositary and all Holders in the event of any change in the truth of any such statements. The Depositary does not assume any duty to determine if the Company is complying with the current requirements of Rule 12g3-2(b) under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 or to take any action if the Company is not complying with those requirements.
(9) Execution. This ADR shall not be valid for any purpose unless executed by the Depositary by the manual or facsimile signature of a duly authorized officer of the Depositary.
JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, N.A., as Depositary
The Depositary's office is located at 4 New York Plaza, 12th Floor, New York, New York, 10004 .
[FORM OF REVERSE OF ADR]
(10) Distributions on Deposited Securities. Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), to the extent practicable (and, in the case of (b), (c) and (d) below, subject to the Company having provided the Depositary with what the Depositary believes to be sufficient advance notice), the Depositary will distribute to each Holder entitled thereto on the record date set by the Depositary therefor at such Holder's address shown on the ADR Register, in proportion to the number of Deposited Securities (on which the following distributions on Deposited Securities are received by the Custodian) represented by ADSs evidenced by such Holder's ADRs: (a) Cash. Any U.S. dollars available to the Depositary resulting from a cash dividend or other cash distribution or the net proceeds of sales of any other distribution or portion thereof authorized in this paragraph (10) ("Cash"), on an averaged or other practicable basis, subject to (i) appropriate adjustments for taxes withheld, (ii) such distribution being impermissible or impracticable with respect to certain Holders, and (iii) deduction of the Depositary's and/or its agents' fees and expenses in (1) converting any foreign currency to U.S. dollars by sale or in such other manner as the Depositary may determine to the extent that it determines that such conversion may be made on a reasonable basis, (2) transferring foreign currency or U.S. dollars to the United States by such means as the Depositary may determine to the extent that it determines that such transfer may be made on a reasonable basis, (3) obtaining any approval or license of any governmental authority required for such conversion or transfer, which is obtainable at a reasonable cost and within a reasonable time and (4) making any sale by public or private means in any commercially reasonable manner. (b) Shares. (i) Additional ADRs evidencing whole ADSs representing any Shares available to the Depositary resulting from a dividend or free distribution on Deposited Securities consisting of Shares (a "Share Distribution") and (ii) U.S. dollars available to it resulting from the net proceeds of sales of Shares received in a Share Distribution, which Shares would give rise to fractional ADSs if additional ADRs were issued therefor, as in the case of Cash. (c) Rights. (i) Warrants or other instruments in the discretion of the Depositary, after consultation with the Company, representing rights to acquire additional ADRs in respect of any rights to subscribe for additional Shares or rights of any nature available to the Depositary as a result of a distribution on Deposited Securities ("Rights"), to the extent that the Company timely furnishes to the Depositary evidence satisfactory to the Depositary that the Depositary may lawfully distribute the same (the Company has no obligation to so furnish such evidence), or (ii) to the extent the Company does not so furnish such evidence and sales of Rights are practicable, any U.S. dollars available to the Depositary from the net proceeds of sales of Rights as in the case of Cash, or (iii) to the extent the Company does not so furnish such evidence and such sales cannot practicably be accomplished by reason of the nontransferability of the Rights, limited markets therefor, their short duration or otherwise, nothing (and any Rights may lapse). (d) Other Distributions. (i) Securities or property available to the Depositary resulting from any distribution on Deposited Securities other than Cash, Share Distributions and Rights ("Other Distributions"), by any means that the Depositary may deem equitable and practicable, or (ii) to the extent the Depositary deems distribution of such securities or property not to be equitable and practicable, any U.S. dollars available to the Depositary from the net proceeds of sales of Other Distributions as in the case of Cash. The Depositary reserves the right to utilize a division, branch or affiliate of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. to direct, manage and/or execute any public and/or private sale of securities hereunder. Such division, branch and/or affiliate may charge the Depositary a fee in connection with such sales, which fee is considered an expense of the Depositary contemplated above and/or under paragraph (7) hereof. Any U.S. dollars available will be distributed by checks drawn on a bank in the United States for whole dollars and cents. Fractional cents will be withheld without liability and dealt with by the Depositary in accordance with its then current practices.
(11) Record Dates. The Depositary may, after consultation with the Company if practicable, fix a record date (which, to the extent applicable, shall be as near as practicable to any corresponding record date set by the Company) for the determination of the Holders who shall be responsible for the fee assessed by the Depositary for administration of the ADR program and for any expenses provided for in paragraph (7) hereof as well as for the determination of the Holders who shall be entitled to receive any distribution on or in respect of Deposited Securities, to give instructions for the exercise of any voting rights, to receive any notice or to act in respect of other matters and only such Holders shall be so entitled or obligated.
(12) Voting of Deposited Securities. The Depositary shall, if requested by the Company in writing in a timely manner (the Depositary having no obligation to take any further action if the request shall not have been received by the Depositary at least 30 days prior to the date of such vote or meeting) distribute, in a timely manner, to Holders of ADSs represented by the ADRs (i) a notice stating such information as is contained in such Company notice and any solicitation materials, (ii) a statement that the Holders as of the close of business on a record date established by the Depositary pursuant to paragraph (11) hereof will be entitled, subject to any applicable provisions of French law, the by-laws (“statuts”) of the Company and the Deposited Securities (which provisions, if any, will be summarized in pertinent part by the Company), to instruct the Depositary as to the exercise of voting rights, if any, pertaining to the Shares or other Deposited Securities represented by such Holders of ADSs, (iii) copies or summaries in English of any materials or other documents provided by the Company for the purpose of enabling such Holders to give instructions for the exercise of such voting rights, (iv) a voting instruction card to be prepared by the Depositary and the Company (a "Voting Instruction Card") setting forth the date established by the Depositary for the receipt of such Voting Instruction Card or the electronic receipt of voting instructions (the "Receipt Date"), and (v) a statement as to the manner in which such instructions may be given, including an express indication that, if a Holder’s Voting Instruction Card is not properly completed, such Holder may be deemed to have instructed the Depositary to provide a discretionary proxy to a person designated by the Company
Upon receipt by the Depositary from a Holder of a properly completed Voting Instruction Card or the electronic receipt of such voting instructions on or before the Receipt Date, the Depositary shall endeavor (i) insofar as practical and permitted under any applicable provisions of French law to vote or cause to be voted the Shares represented by such ADSs in accordance with such instructions or (ii) to forward such instructions to the Custodian and the Custodian shall endeavor, insofar as practical and permitted under any applicable provisions of French law and the Company to vote or cause to be voted the Shares represented by such ADSs in accordance with such instructions. Subject to the next paragraph hereof, the Depositary shall only vote, or cause to be voted, or attempt to exercise the right to vote in accordance with such instructions or deemed instructions.
If the Depositary timely receives a signed Voting Instruction Card from a Holder which fails to specify the manner in which the Depositary is to vote the Deposited Securities represented by such Holder's ADSs on one or more matters at a meeting, to the extent not prohibited by applicable law, rule or regulation, such Voting Instruction Card shall constitute a discretionary proxy (procuration en blanc) and shall be counted as a vote in favor of resolutions approved by the Board of Directors. Deposited Securities represented by ADSs for which voting instructions are not timely received by the Depositary shall not be voted.
According to French law and the Company's By-Laws, only holders of Shares who hold their Shares in registered form for at least two years will be entitled to double voting rights. Holders of Receipts (which evidence American Depositary Shares representing Shares in bearer form) will not be entitled to double voting rights.
Notwithstanding anything in the Deposit Agreement to the contrary, the Depositary and the Company may modify or amend the above voting procedures or adopt additional voting procedures from time to time as they determine may be necessary or appropriate to comply with French or United States law or the Company’s By-Laws.
There is no guarantee that Holders generally or any Holder in particular will receive the notice described above with sufficient time to enable such Holder to return any voting instructions to the Depositary in a timely manner. Notwithstanding anything contained in the Deposit Agreement or any ADR, the Depositary may, to the extent not prohibited by law or regulations, or by the requirements of the stock exchange on which the ADSs are listed, in lieu of distribution of the materials provided to the Depositary in connection with any meeting of holders of Deposited Securities, distribute to the Holders a notice that provides Holders with, or otherwise publicizes to Holders, instructions on how to retrieve such materials or receive such materials upon request (i.e., by reference to a website containing the materials for retrieval or a contact for requesting copies of the materials). Voting instructions will not be deemed received until such time as the ADR department responsible for proxies and voting has received such instructions notwithstanding that such instructions may have been physically received by JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., as Depositary, prior to such time. The Depositary and the Company and their respective directors, employees, agents and controlling persons (as defined in the Securities Act of 1933) assume no obligation nor shall they be subject to any liability under the Deposit Agreement or this ADR to any Holder or any other person with respect to whether a Holder or such other person is entitled to provide voting instructions or otherwise in respect of voting.
(13) Changes Affecting Deposited Securities. Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), the Depositary may, in its discretion, and shall if reasonably requested by the Company, amend this ADR or distribute additional or amended ADRs (with or without calling this ADR for exchange) or cash, securities or property on the record date set by the Depositary therefor to reflect any change in par value, split-up, consolidation, cancellation or other reclassification of Deposited Securities, any Share Distribution or Other Distribution not distributed to Holders or any cash, securities or property available to the Depositary in respect of Deposited Securities from (and the Depositary is hereby authorized to surrender any Deposited Securities to any person and, irrespective of whether such Deposited Securities are surrendered or otherwise cancelled by operation of law, rule, regulation or otherwise, to sell by public or private sale any property received in connection with) any recapitalization, reorganization, merger, consolidation, liquidation, receivership, bankruptcy or sale of all or substantially all the assets of the Company, and to the extent the Depositary does not so amend this ADR or make a distribution to Holders to reflect any of the foregoing, or the net proceeds thereof, whatever cash, securities or property results from any of the foregoing shall constitute Deposited Securities and each ADS evidenced by this ADR shall automatically represent its pro rata interest in the Deposited Securities as then constituted. Promptly upon the occurrence of any of the aforementioned changes affecting Deposited Securities, the Company shall notify the Depositary in writing of such occurrence and as soon as practicable after receipt of such notice from the Company, may instruct the Depositary to give notice thereof, at the Company's expense, to Holders in accordance with the provisions hereof. Upon receipt of such instruction, the Depositary shall give notice to the Holders in accordance with the terms thereof, as soon as reasonably practicable.
(14) Exoneration. The Depositary, the Company, their agents and each of them shall: (a) incur no liability (i) if any present or future law, rule, regulation, fiat, order or decree of the United States, the Republic of France or any other country, or of any governmental or regulatory authority or any securities exchange or market or automated quotation system, the provisions of or governing any Deposited Securities, any present or future provision of the Company's by-laws (“statuts”), any act of God, war, terrorism, nationalization or other circumstance beyond its control shall prevent or delay, or shall cause any of them to be subject to any civil or criminal penalty in connection with, any act which the Deposit Agreement or this ADR provides shall be done or performed by it or them (including, without limitation, voting pursuant to paragraph (12) hereof), or (ii) by reason of any exercise or failure to exercise any discretion given to it in the Deposit Agreement or this ADR (including, without limitation, any failure to determine that any distribution or action may be lawful or reasonably practicable); (b) assume no liability except to perform its obligations to the extent they are specifically set forth in this ADR and the Deposit Agreement without gross negligence or bad faith; (c) in the case of the Depositary and its agents, be under no obligation to appear in, prosecute or defend any action, suit or other proceeding in respect of any Deposited Securities or this ADR; (d) in the case of the Company and its agents hereunder be under no obligation to appear in, prosecute or defend any action, suit or other proceeding in respect of any Deposited Securities or this ADR, which in its opinion may involve it in expense or liability, unless indemnity satisfactory to it against all expense (including fees and disbursements of counsel) and liability be furnished as often as may be required; or (e) not be liable for any action or inaction by it in reliance upon the advice of or information from legal counsel, accountants, any person presenting Shares for deposit, any Holder, or any other person believed by it to be competent to give such advice or information. The Depositary shall not be liable for the acts or omissions made by, or the insolvency of, any securities depository, clearing agency or settlement system. The Depositary shall not be responsible for, and shall incur no liability in connection with or arising from, the insolvency of any Custodian that is not a branch or affiliate of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. The Depositary shall not have any liability for the price received in connection with any sale of securities, the timing thereof or any delay in action or omission to act nor shall it be responsible for any error or delay in action, omission to act, default or negligence on the part of the party so retained in connection with any such sale or proposed sale. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in the Deposit Agreement (including the ADRs), subject to the penultimate sentence of this paragraph (14), the Depositary shall not be responsible for, and shall incur no liability in connection with or arising from, any act or omission to act on the part of the Custodian except to the extent that the Custodian has (i) committed fraud or willful misconduct in the provision of custodial services to the Depositary or (ii) failed to use reasonable care in the provision of custodial services to the Depositary as determined in accordance with the standards prevailing in the jurisdiction in which the Custodian is located. The Depositary, its agents and the Company may rely and shall be protected in acting upon any written notice, request, direction, instruction or document believed by them to be genuine and to have been signed, presented or given by the
proper party or parties. The Depositary shall be under no obligation to inform Holders or any other holders of an interest in an ADS about the requirements of French law, rules or regulations or any changes therein or thereto. The Depositary and its agents will not be responsible for any failure to carry out any instructions to vote any of the Deposited Securities, for the manner in which any such vote is cast or for the effect of any such vote. The Depositary may rely upon instructions from the Company or its counsel in respect of any approval or license required for any currency conversion, transfer or distribution. The Depositary and its agents may own and deal in any class of securities of the Company and its affiliates and in ADRs. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary set forth in the Deposit Agreement or an ADR, the Depositary and its agents may fully respond to any and all demands or requests for information maintained by or on its behalf in connection with the Deposit Agreement, any Holder or Holders, any ADR or ADRs or otherwise related hereto or thereto to the extent such information is requested or required by or pursuant to any lawful authority, including without limitation laws, rules, regulations, administrative or judicial process, banking, securities or other regulators. None of the Depositary, the Custodian or the Company shall be liable for the failure by any Holder or beneficial owner to obtain the benefits of credits on the basis of non-U.S. tax paid against such Holder's or beneficial owner's income tax liability. The Depositary and the Company shall not incur any liability for any tax consequences that may be incurred by Holders and beneficial owners on account of their ownership of the ADRs or ADSs. The Depositary shall not incur any liability for the content of any information submitted to it by or on behalf of the Company for distribution to the Holders or for any inaccuracy of any translation thereof, for any investment risk associated with acquiring an interest in the Deposited Securities, for the validity or worth of the Deposited Securities, for the credit-worthiness of any third party, for allowing any rights to lapse upon the terms of the Deposit Agreement or for the failure or timeliness of any notice from the Company. The Depositary shall not be liable for any acts or omissions made by a successor depositary whether in connection with a previous act or omission of the Depositary or in connection with any matter arising wholly after the removal or resignation of the Depositary, provided that in connection with the issue out of which such potential liability arises the Depositary performed its obligations without negligence or bad faith while it acted as Depositary. By holding an ADS or an interest therein, Holders and owners of ADSs each irrevocably agree that any legal suit, action or proceeding against or involving the Company or the Depositary, arising out of or based upon the Deposit Agreement or the transactions contemplated hereby, may only be instituted in a state or federal court in New York, New York, and by holding an ADS or an interest therein each irrevocably waives any objection which it may now or hereafter have to the laying of venue of any such proceeding, and irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts in any such suit, action or proceeding. The Company has agreed to indemnify the Depositary and its agents under certain circumstances and the Depositary has agreed to indemnify the Company under certain circumstances. Neither the Company, nor the Depositary nor any of their respective agents shall be liable to Holders or beneficial owners of interests in ADSs for any indirect, special, punitive or consequential damages (including, without limitation, lost profits) of any form incurred by any person or entity, whether or not foreseeable and regardless of the type of action in which such a claim may be brought. No disclaimer of liability under the Securities Act of 1933 is intended by any provision hereof.
(15) Resignation and Removal of Depositary; Appointment of Successor Custodian. The Depositary may resign as Depositary by written notice of its election so to do delivered to the Company, such resignation to take effect upon the appointment of a successor depositary and its acceptance of such appointment as provided in the Deposit Agreement. The Depositary may at any time be removed by the Company by no less than 90 days prior written notice of such removal, to become effective upon the later of (i) the 90th day after delivery of the notice to the Depositary and (ii) the appointment of a successor depositary and its acceptance of such appointment as provided in the Deposit Agreement. The Depositary may appoint substitute or additional Custodians and the term "Custodian" refers to each Custodian or all Custodians as the context requires.
(16) Amendment. Subject to the last sentence of paragraph (2), the ADRs and the Deposit Agreement may be amended by the Company and the Depositary, provided that any amendment that imposes or increases any fees or charges (other than stock transfer or other taxes and other governmental charges, transfer or registration fees, cable, telex or facsimile transmission costs, delivery costs or other such expenses), or that shall otherwise prejudice any substantial existing right of Holders, shall become effective 30 days after notice of such amendment shall have been given to the Holders. Every Holder of an ADR at the time any amendment to the Deposit Agreement so becomes effective shall be deemed, by continuing to hold such ADR, to consent and agree to such amendment and to be bound by the Deposit Agreement as amended thereby. In no event shall any amendment impair the right of the Holder of any ADR to surrender such ADR and receive the Deposited Securities represented thereby, except in order to comply with mandatory provisions of applicable law. Any amendments or supplements which (i) are reasonably necessary (as agreed by the Company and the Depositary) in order for (a) the ADSs to be registered on Form F-6 under the Securities Act of 1933 or (b) the ADSs or Shares to be traded solely in electronic book-entry form and (ii) do not in either such case impose or increase any fees or charges to be borne by Holders, shall be deemed not to prejudice any substantial rights of Holders. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if any governmental body or regulatory body should adopt new laws, rules or regulations which would require amendment or supplement of the Deposit Agreement or the form of ADR to ensure compliance therewith, the Company and the Depositary may amend or supplement the Deposit Agreement and the ADR at any time in accordance with such changed laws, rules or regulations. Such amendment or supplement to the Deposit Agreement in such circumstances may become effective before a notice of such amendment or supplement is given to Holders or within any other period of time as required for compliance. Notice of any amendment to the Deposit Agreement or form of ADRs shall not need to describe in detail the specific amendments effectuated thereby, and failure to describe the specific amendments in any such notice shall not render such notice invalid, provided, however, that, in each such case, the notice given to the Holders identifies a means for Holders to retrieve or receive the text of such amendment (i.e., upon retrieval from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's, the Depositary's or the Company's website or upon request from the Depositary).
(17) Termination. The Depositary may, and shall at the written direction of the Company, terminate the Deposit Agreement and this ADR by mailing notice of such termination to the Holders at least 30 days prior to the date fixed in such notice for such termination; provided, however, if the Depositary shall have (i) resigned as Depositary hereunder, notice of such termination by the Depositary shall not be provided to Holders unless a successor depositary shall not be operating hereunder within 60 days of the date of such resignation, or (ii) been removed as Depositary hereunder, notice of such termination by the Depositary shall not be provided to Holders unless a successor depositary shall not be operating hereunder on the 90th day after the Company's notice of removal was first provided to the Depositary. After the date so fixed for termination, the Depositary and its agents will perform no further acts under the Deposit Agreement and this ADR, except to receive and hold (or sell) distributions on Deposited Securities and deliver Deposited Securities being withdrawn. As soon as practicable after the expiration of six months from the date so fixed for termination, the Depositary shall sell the Deposited Securities and shall thereafter (as long as it may lawfully do so) hold in a segregated account the net proceeds of such sales, together with any other cash then held by it under the Deposit Agreement, without liability for interest, in trust for the pro rata benefit of the Holders of ADRs not theretofore surrendered. After making such sale, the Depositary shall be discharged from all obligations in respect of the Deposit Agreement and this ADR, except to account for such net proceeds and other cash. After the date so fixed for termination, the Company shall be discharged from all obligations under the Deposit Agreement except for its obligations to the Depositary and its agents.
(18) Appointment. Each Holder and each person holding an interest in ADSs, upon acceptance of any ADSs (or any interest therein) issued in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Deposit Agreement shall be deemed for all purposes to (a) be a party to and bound by the terms of the Deposit Agreement and the applicable ADR(s), and (b) appoint the Depositary its attorney-in-fact, with full power to delegate, to act on its behalf and to take any and all actions contemplated in the Deposit Agreement and the applicable ADR(s), to adopt any and all procedures necessary to comply with applicable law and to take such action as the Depositary in its sole discretion may deem necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of the Deposit Agreement and the applicable ADR(s), the taking of such actions to be the conclusive determinant of the necessity and appropriateness thereof.
(19) Waiver. EACH PARTY TO THE DEPOSIT AGREEMENT (INCLUDING, FOR AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, EACH HOLDER AND BENEFICIAL OWNER AND/OR HOLDER OF INTERESTS IN ADRS) HEREBY IRREVOCABLY WAIVES, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY RIGHT IT MAY HAVE TO A TRIAL BY JURY IN ANY SUIT, ACTION OR PROCEEDING AGAINST THE DEPOSITARY AND/OR THE COMPANY DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE SHARES OR OTHER DEPOSITED SECURITIES, THE ADSs OR THE ADRs, THE DEPOSIT AGREEMENT OR ANY TRANSACTION CONTEMPLATED HEREIN OR THEREIN, OR THE BREACH HEREOF OR THEREOF (WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, COMMON LAW OR ANY OTHER THEORY).
(20) Elective Distributions in Cash or Shares. Whenever the Company intends to distribute a dividend payable at the election of the holders of Shares in cash or in additional Shares, the Company shall give notice thereof to the Depositary at least 30 days prior to the proposed distribution stating whether or not it wishes such elective distribution to be made available to Holders. Upon receipt of notice indicating that the Company wishes such elective distribution to be made available to Holders, the Depositary shall consult with the Company to determine, and the Company shall assist the Depositary in its determination, whether it is lawful and reasonably practicable to make such elective distribution available to the Holders. The Depositary shall make such elective distribution available to Holders only if (i) the Company shall have timely requested that the elective distribution is available to Holders, (ii) the Depositary shall have determined that such distribution is reasonably practicable and (iii) the Depositary shall have received satisfactory documentation within the terms of Section 14 of the Deposit Agreement including, without limitation, any legal opinions of counsel in any applicable jurisdiction that the Depositary in its reasonable discretion may request as contemplated by Section 14 of the Deposit Agreement, at the expense of the Company. If the above conditions are not satisfied, the Depositary shall, to the extent permitted by law, distribute to the Holders, on the basis of the same determination as is made in the local market in respect of the Shares for which no election is made, either (x) cash or (y) additional ADSs representing such additional Shares. If the above conditions are satisfied, the Depositary shall establish a record date and establish procedures to enable Holders to elect the receipt of the proposed dividend in cash or in additional ADSs. The Company shall assist the Depositary in establishing such procedures to the extent necessary. Nothing herein shall obligate the Depositary to make available to Holders a method to receive the elective dividend in Shares (rather than ADSs). There can be no assurance that Holders generally, or any Holder in particular, will be given the opportunity to receive elective distributions on the same terms and conditions as the holders of Shares.